Tuesday 13 November 2012

Packing and the perils of luggage allowance.

So...I fly really soon. Unbelievably soon. And the one thing that is standing in the way between me and that plane is my packing. I thought it would be easier this time. I thought that this year I would know exactly what to pack and all the useless stuff I brought last year would be left behind. I would be a packing queen. A capsule wardrobe, a limited make up bag and that would be it.

No that is not it.

Yes this year I have weeded out all the ridiculous things I took last time. But once you have packed smart work clothes, ski clothes, ski boots, snow boots, casual clothes and going out clothes there really isn't a lot of room left in your suitcase and you are way past your luggage allowance.

And packing itself is a hugely traumatic experience. You spend the whole time trying to walk through the next six months in your head, desperately trying to see if you can remember if you have forgotten anything and panicking about what happens if you forget that really important thing that you cannot remember. And as I am sat writing this right now, you can tell I am putting off packing even further.

So yesterday I called up to add ski carriage on, which is an extra 12kg (this is sneaky because my boots only weigh 5kg) (I know this because I have weighed everything I own).

There, I thought, I now have 32kg to play with. That's more than enough. And I have hand luggage so I can put some heavy stuff in there.

Then today, while putting the carefully sorted piles of clothes that have been scattered around my room for days into my suitcase I released that my suitcase really was not of a suitable size and I would have to pay to split my stuff between two bags (I am flying Easy Jet by the way who like to make traveling with them vastly complicated and expensive, why can't they just let you buy another 20kg bag???) Anyway so I have now spent £36 on baggage allowance.

And after weighing all my stuff it comes to 26kg! I have a whole 6kg free that I have paid for.

Time to go shopping! (yes that is another packing avoidance plan)

No comments:

Post a Comment