Sunday 26 May 2013

The 100th Post

So, this is my 100th blog post. I feel that this occasion should be marked in a dramatic way, with some big declaration or by revealing a well kept secret;

It should be in the 100th blog post that I announce that I'm pregnant and after careful consideration am keeping my season baby and am dedicated to my future life as a single mother.

Or that I have decided that after a month in the City I miss my life as a hotel manager so much that I have already arranged to go back and do it all again.

Unfortunately neither of these are true and I don't have a big decoration to mark this special moment.

Do you feel somewhat let down now? I do.

Instead I am sat in the sun, daring it to burn my mountain white skin, wondering what I should fill this blog post with. One of the last time I was sitting in the sun like this I was at the Ronny watching the DC riders performing, drinking beer by the jug. I am contemplating putting my bikini on but I have a very overlooked garden and it might be much for my South London neighbours.

I was looking through old old bits of of my facebook the other day and came across a post I had written on 27th June 2012, it said 'Just accepted the Job! Back to Meribel this winter! Not sure if this is the best of the stupidest decision I have ever made!' Now the interesting thing about this post, other than my over excited, excessive use of the exclamation mark, is one of the comments 'Its definetly the best decision youve ever made!'. As a historian I am tempted to write the word sic after that quote to show it is a direct quote and has has been copied as it was written, without modern alterations to grammar or spelling. But seen as I am one of the worst spellers in the world it would be slightly hypocritical. It also shows he loves the use of the exclamation mark almost as much as I do!

I wonder if AJ remembers writing that on my wall. I doubt it. Neither did I till the other day. It did get me thinking, I was sure that he had contacted me just before I flew out, because I had known he was going to be there before I went. I had another look on facebook and sure enough there was a brief conversation from the 8th October;

AJ: Hey you managing the (xx) this year?
Me: Yep
AJ: Ahhh cool im going back there
Me: to the (xx)?
AJ: Yes indeed
Me: Cool cool
AJ: Do you know anyone else going back?
Me: I don't actually
AJ: I know the head chef but thats it. Anyway im off to the pub. X


A somewhat short exchange I feel. And rather brisk on my part. I usually talk a lot  more than that.

What I do remember thinking after this conversation is 'Hmm I wonder if it is unprofessional to be facebook friends with someone who is going to be working in the hotel, what if he shows all the people who I am going to manage my facebook or worst still, my blog'. Looking back it was a somewhat ironic thought. But at least I was trying to be professional.

Sometime in mid February I was hanging round the kitchen, hoping someone would give me some food AJ mentioned something on his facebook that I should look at. It was at that point I had to confess that we were  no longer facebook friends and hadn't been since mid November. I think, judging by his horrified reaction, was the single biggest insult I ever threw at him. Considering the range of insults we throw at each other on a regular basis, it is saying something.

It took me a couple of days, a lot of cups of tea, and a facebook friend request to patch up the damaged pride. Though after this I wished it was that each to repair pride that had been damaged on a throw away moment.

 In the end going back to Meribel was neither the best or the worst decision I have ever made. The worst decision I have ever made was in 2007 when I decided to go platinum blonde, the best was going the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment